I'd like to share a project I designed for Blumenthal Lansing Company (my favorite button source!!!). I wrapped a foam wreath with burlap strips and decorated it with frayed fabric flowers and buttons.
For supplies you will need:
12” Extruded Wreath Ring, FloraCraft
1/3 yard Natural Color Burlap
Fabric Quarters, 18” x 21”, 3 patterns
1 ½” Pearlized Pins, assorted colors
Sewing Needle and Heavy Thread
Buttons, assorted colors
I seem to always say this, but this is one of my favorite design projects. The colors are amazing and it's such a fun wreath.
To cover the wreath with burlap:
- Cut burlap into 2” wide by 1/3 yard (13 ½”) strips.
- Secure a burlap strip to the back of the wreath with beading pins. Wrap the strip around the foam shape, keeping overlaps even. Secure the end of the strip on the back of the wreath with beading pins. Repeat until the whole wreath is covered with burlap strips.
To make the flowers and finish the wreath:
- To make the fabric flowers: Rip a 1” wide by 21” long strip from a piece of fabric. Secure a knotted piece of heavy thread in a short end of the fabric strip and hand sew a loose, long stitch along one side of the fabric strip. Pull the thread tight and push the fabric strip to bunch it up on the thread. Layer the bunched fabric around and around to make the flower shape. Secure it in place with a few more stitches and snip excess thread. Make 7 flowers.
Note: You can find video tutorials online on how to make frayed fabric flowers.
- Attach the flowers to the wreath by adding stacked button centers held in place with a pearlized pin. Push the pin through the buttons holes and the fabric flower and into the foam.
- After the flowers are attached add assorted sizes and colors of buttons using pearlized pins. Add the buttons in among the flowers and off the ends of the flower cluster. Fade them out into smaller buttons, mixing in a few solo pearlized pins.
One of the neatest things was going into Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store, heading to the button aisle and seeing my wreath on the inspiration board! I have a few other Blumenthal Lansing designs on display in the button aisle there and I'll be posting those, too.
Go dig through your stash of buttons and give this wreath a try! Share pictures when you make one! :-)